Monday, June 27, 2011

KL buzz!

David Archuleta will perform at Stadium Negara, KL on July 26.
Pop singer David Archuleta has come a long way since his charming debut on the seventh season of American Idol.

After a brief episode with a paralysed vocal cord that nearly destroyed his singing dream, young Archuleta emerged the runner-up on the hit reality series at just 18.

Now at 21, after a highly successful self-titled debut album that sold nearly a million copies worldwide, his 2009 Christmas From The Heart, and last year’s The Other Side of Down, Archuleta is ready to go his own way.

Last February, it was announced that the engaging performer from Utah has been dropped by Jive Records, his label since 2008. Archuleta also left his management, Wright Entertainment Group in the same month to pursue what he called, “a new direction.”

It’s a certain change of environment, but if the wide-eyed singer has anything to say about it, it’s a positive one.

“A lot of people were surprised to hear that I’m not with Jive Records (owned by Sony Music Entertainment) anymore. But it wasn’t like that. I’ve actually been offered a different deal to still stay signed with Sony but I just felt like I haven’t been happy for the past one or two years and I haven’t been going the direction I’ve been wanting to go,” Archuleta told The Star in a recent phone interview from Nashville, Tennessee.

“Ever since Idol, it was like go-go-go-go-go; do this, do that! There were so many people telling me what I should be doing and what’s going to make me successful but I didn’t actually have the time to think about what I really wanted to do,” said Archuleta, who was chirpy and candid throughout our interview.

While his heart is still set on singing, Archuleta said he is not looking to be signed under a new label at the moment.

“Right now, I need space to grow as a musician and to try to find my own sound. I want to spend time just writing and putting songs together, and then go out to record labels and say: I’m ready to make an album now. This is the music that I want to do – do you believe in me?”

In the meantime, he is working towards writing his own music with songwriters from the musical city of Nashville.

“I love the vibe here,” he said with typical candour. “It felt like magic the first time I came here and that’s why I’ve been coming back over and over again.”

The best part about making music on his own is that he doesn’t have to meet anybody’s expectations anymore, he said.  “This is all coming from me, from my heart.”

Archuleta also revealed there’ll be another album on the way but added with a tinge of prudence, “just not this year.”

“Right now, I’m thinking of releasing just another song for fans who’ve been so patient and so good to me.”

Besides writing songs, he is also working on shows for the Christmas holiday season.

“There could even be a Christmas release, even if it’s just a little one,” he hinted.
His Malaysian fans won’t have to wait that long, for the congenial singer will be back to perform his first full concert here on July 26, 8pm at Stadium Negara in Kuala Lumpur.

Archuleta, who was last here in April 2009 for a mini showcase in Sunway said he is very excited about his upcoming concert. “ I was sweating a lot the last time I was in Malaysia but it felt so good. It was such a fun experience to meet my fans and it’s great to be able to go back and do a full show. There will also be a full band this time around.”

Fans of Archuleta can expect a performance filled with breezy, light-hearted numbers from all his albums at the concert.

Organised by Sony Music Entertainment, Malaysia, tickets for David Archuleta Live in Kuala Lumpur are available at RM300 (for VIP), RM230 and Rm190 for numbered seats, and RM150 and RM90 for free seating. All prices exclude RM3 ticket handling fees. Tickets are available from June 20 onwards at Ticket Charge
  Daily Chilli

Also, David's in the Berita Minggu news paper. Credit to OneDavid!

No comments:

Post a Comment