Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tribute to SU2C founder Laura Ziskin

Pecan pie here. I owe you plenty of SU2C stories and videos, but here's one that couldn't wait. This past week we lost the co-founder of Stand Up2 Cancer, Laura Ziskin, who passed away after a 7- year battle with breast cancer. She is, of course, a ginormous legend in the film industry (produced the Spiderman series, As Good As it Gets, Pretty Woman, to name a few), but she was also a personal hero to me as I am a cancer survivor, pediatric oncologist, and eternal Archie fan.

I think the typical response for most of us who have had a cancer diagnosis is to just grit our teeth, get through the treatment, and pray to survive. Some, once they think they are out of the woods, will devote time to causes aimed at abolishing cancer, but only a rare individual would tackle a project the scope of Stand Up 2 Cancer while still in the throes of her own cancer battle. In Laura Ziskin's case, apparently this brand of fearlessness and tenacity was just par for the course. This Variety article does a nice job of capturing the essence of the woman who turns out to be an even bigger superhero than Spiderman himself. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118038459

While the cancer survivor in me is awed by her gumption (a Go-Getter of the highest magnitude), the oncologist in me is still blown away by the sheer brilliance of this innovative strategy adopted by SU2C to target cancer. She could have done what every celebrity does by throwing a pile of money at one hospital or one foundation for a specific cancer and saying "here's a few million, now go cure cancer". Instead, she took a hard look at how we'd been approaching and funding cancer research previously and essentially said, "the old way takes too long, I'm going to get cancer cured faster". Simple, right? Well, she assembled a visionary team of advisors who created a model which forced great minds in the field to work together instead of competing against one another (usually the only way to survive in academia). The focus was on mechanisms which could apply to more than one type of cancer while bringing the science from bench to bedside as quickly as possible. She got the public to Stand Up to Cancer, and got oncologists to Stand Up and take notice. She didn't stop there; as producer of the SU2C broadcasts, she managed to save a few bonus lives by dedicating airtime to reviewing important screening and early detection techniques like the skin exam, testicular exam, colonoscopy, and prostate exam.

Of course, she is also a hero to me because of the way she connected me to David and to so many of you. I don't know if I'll ever really be able to describe my experience those 2 weeks in August 2008. I watched in awe from my computer in my boring little town in NJ while several hundred total strangers (yeah, that's you guys) came pouring in from across the world all to lend support for this cause in David's name. It was truly impossible for me to wrap my brain around how or why this was happening. However, I do know that our team was/is the true example of what Laura Ziskin's vision was all about. It was a grassroots effort fueled by our collective outrage at the pain cancer has caused in our loved ones and our desperation to stop this pain from ever reaching another human being. These sentiments were echoed over and over by team members who posted comments, sent e-mails, and sent tweets. I'm sure Laura never expected David to become such a galvanizing force so pivotal to SU2C's success and so emblematic of her vision. However, she sure did take notice of the Archuleta effect once it manifested. In fact, it was her idea to have David appear on the show alongside a member of our team during the 60-minute live broadcast. She just wanted that on-air moment because she knew it would be so powerful.

I can't even begin to imagine what SU2C is going to be like or even what this world is going to be like now that this mega-force of boundless energy, Laura Ziskin, is gone. I never even met her and still the gaping void she has left is palpable. I hope that by sharing my peculiar perspective as an Archie/cancer survivor/oncologist maybe a couple more people would come to know how she's touched so many of our lives. Perhaps some might even be inspired continue to support Laura Ziskin's dream as it seems all of us who still survive are left to carry the torch.

תהי נשמתו צרורה בצרור החיים
Tehe nishmatah tzerurah bitzrohr hachayim
(May her soul be bound in the bond of eternal life)



Note from Mary Lou
It wasn't until I read Laura's bio, that I realized what a talent and power she was. I saw Laura on the stage with the rest of her SU2C team in LA in September, and although I was able to meet some of her colleagues, I did not meet her. Pecan reminded me that I likely did talk to her back in 2008 when I was working with Pecan to get David and the Crush Kids' Cancer team recognized on the inaugural national broadcast (but I was promptly sent to her assistant so the conversation was shortlived!). Pecan outlined Laura's professional accomplishments, but I suspect one of her proudest was the tremendous difference she helped to make with SU2C. I was lucky enough to see her influence in action as she rounded up the powerhouses in the entertainment industry to lend their support to the cause last year. Knowing that she particularly interested in the SU2C team competition, I was so pleased that the Crush Kids' Cancer team segment with Ryan Seacrest and David Archuleta found its way on to the tribute video. I was so saddened to hear of her passing this week; we lost another great one. This terrible disease needs to end.

Mary Lou

May I just say, I completely agree with Pecan Pie and Mary Lou. For someone who was still battling to devote their time to the cause is just amazing. Laura was committed to defeating cancer, and I think everyone should do the same. Whether you've battled it yourself, know someone who's battling or know someone who's lost the fight, cancer has touched everyone's lives in one way or another. I myself am going to try getting more involved with SU2C and Crush Kids' Cancer, and I want to thank everyone who has donated and helped out with such a great cause.

And on that note, I hope everyone has a blessed Sunday and a good Father's Day. Remember, it doesn't have to be an actual father; a grandfather, uncle, cousin, even a brother who has been the "father" figure in your life deserves some recognition on this day :)

-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment